Going Guatemalan

Very little planning,but sure to me lots of fun!

Monday, March 24, 2008

Nine months and counting!

Happy Namibian Independence! (Friday was Namibia's 18th year as an independent country.) And a Happy Easter!

I can’t believe how fast time is going by. It feels like I just sent out an email to you all, but I’m already at the end of the first term.

This term has been filled with so many activities that its hard to list them all. Building classrooms has been quite delayed as there has been lots of rain and heavy flooding. I’m hoping to start in early May, when the rain is predicted to stop. However, the community has been mobilized and they are ready to start working as soon as they can. In academic matter, we are about to head into April exams, and then a three week vacation will follow. Its crazy to think about because I feel like I’ve just started teaching again.

I’ve also been really busy with after school activities, managing a number of clubs. I’ve started up debating club again, and I’ve been busy training them for competitions within the area. They are really improving their speaking skills and I’m really proud to see some of them with so much confidence. I’m trying to get a grant this year to take them on another tour, because I realized what an impact it has made with some of these kids. They have really come into their own and are not afraid to speak out their opinions.

I’ve also started teaching an additional mathematics class for those learners who are strong in math. It’s kind of a combination of math club and accelerated math classes; we meet after school once a week and I give them an extra lesson, and at the end of the year they will take an extra exam. The class will help learners get into science or math programs in grade 11 or 12.

I’m trying to get the computer lab running again, although this is a tedious activity that I don’t really enjoy. Hopefully this year I’ll be able to find someone who can take over the lab so that I won’t have to give lessons anymore.

My final project is that I’m trying to run a marathon this year that is scheduled in August. Its hard to find time to train for it, and especially now that the southern hemisphere is moving in to winter and I’ll be losing lots of sunlight. The marathon isn’t until October, but I haven’t been running regularly or with the dedication that a marathon requires. I’d also like to take learners to the marathon. They will be running the marathon in a relay. Teams of four learners will run 10 kilometers each, which they are really excited for because they want the opportunity to travel to Swakopmund.

I’ve been so busy with school that I’ve lost track of time. Its less than nine months left before I’m headed to home sweet home and there’s no doubt that I’m looking forward to it. I love it here, but I can’t wait for some of those small luxuries of life that just aren’t a part of village life: washing machines, high heals, hot showers, SNOW! But until then, please just keep emailing me so that I know that someone is enjoying the good life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home