Going Guatemalan

Very little planning,but sure to me lots of fun!

Saturday, June 07, 2008

On the downhill...

Greetings Friends and Family!

Its been far too long since my last update, and I apologize for that, but the time seems to be flying by and I don’t even notice it. I can't believe how soon I'll be heading home; its hard to concentrate on the work that still needs to be done.

The highlight of the last few months was a two week vacation with my parents. It was so nice to have them here and it has made me so much more homesick than before they arrived. The time passed far too quickly, but we covered a lot of ground. Traveled to Swakupmund (a beach town), Damaraland (the area a west of Etosha), Opuwo (where the Himba tribe is), through Ondangwa and my village, and then to Etosha. The trip was also a luxury as we traveled in our very own rented car WITH air conditioning, staying in nice hotels that are far beyond my volunteer budget. My parents really appreciated experiencing Namibia, visiting my house and school and getting to understand where it is I’ve made my home for the last year and a half. My host family was also extremely pleased to meet my parents and give their “vote of thanks” for the time I’ve spent volunteering here. The trip was full of good memories and I really liked sharing my experience with them.

Since I’ve returned to school, I’ve started working on the classroom project. There have been a few minor delays, but we’re well on the way now. Pictures are soon to come (I have a new digital camera, so it won’t take so long to get pictures) and I’ll send out a report when we finish.

I’ve also been really busy with my debating activities. I have teams going to all sorts of competitions that I can barely keep track of. All my free time has been invested into this group of learners that are debating. I’ve been working really hard with them and it’s been really exhausting, but they are learning and gaining confidence. I’m so proud of what they achieved and they continue to amaze me with the improvements they’ve made with their English.

I can’t believe how fast the time is flying. I still have a lot of work to do, but in the back of my mind I keep remembering I’ll be home before I know it. I’ve started looking into what I want to do when I go home, but its hard to research from so far away and when that future seems so far off in the distance.

More to come soon.

Stay in touch,
Elise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home